Forums » Off Topic

Lmao *triggering*

• 18 posts
    August 16, 2015 8:33 PM EDT

Why does everyone cry that they're being triggered on here? Honestly, it aint so damn hard to shut down your PC and move on from the shit. But they sit there and cry? Lmao. I don't get it. I'm Middle Eastern, grew up hearing racist ass remarks. But when someone makes a comment to me about it, I don't freak out, cry myself to sleep, or take something to make me pass out. 

Honestly, these people need to grow thicker skin.

• 35 posts
    August 17, 2015 12:18 PM EDT

Everyone has their own unsecurities. I've been on this site even before the site crashed in March, and I've seen a lot of people here although I've never had people messaging/commenting/posting about triggering topics like selfharm, drugs, ect. That's saying something, i have a lot of friends on this site.

• 174 posts
    August 17, 2015 12:58 PM EDT

Alot happens here, Typically, while people may sit judging at us. Some self identifiying as Emo are real troopers who have gone through some truly Brutal things, And have shown unwavering resolve. 

My point saying: Lot of us have backgrounds with alot of screwed up shit and are trying to rebuild themselves. I was like that alot. 

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2015 1:32 PM EDT

Sure, someone could just shut down their PC, but I know that it goes a lot deeper than that - once you've seen something potentially triggering, it's hard to get it out of your mind. I've been through it and it's not a nice position to be in at all. People process these comments in different ways - some find it easy to brush it off whereas others don't  - it's not easy to just "grow thicker skin". It shouldn't be blamed on the victims, it should be blamed on the people that post/message shit that ends up triggering them. That's just my opinion, and those being triggered should seek help instead of posting it - it works both ways.

• 18 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:43 PM EDT

No. I mean, if you say someone is /ugly/ they cry that you're triggering them. That's what I don't get. So what if someone thinks you're ugly or fat. People online shouldn't hold any meaning on how you view yourself. Lol.

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:46 PM EDT

Well for a start you shouldn't be saying that people are ugly or fat at all, that's just flat out horrible, and no wonder people get upset when people say things like that to them. If you're in a position of high insecurity, then you're most likely going to take those comments to heart - the answer is not to talk shit to people full stop.

• 18 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:49 PM EDT

Lol. People call me an ISIS /n-word/ all the time. And insult me for being Middle Eastern. I just don't get why people take the shit to heart.  /no wonder people get upset when people say things like that to them./

In the real world, people aren't gonna try to protect your feelings. I get being online should be a /safe/ place. But honestly. You're going to meet people who will hurt your feelings for the /fun/ of it. I just think people from our generation expect everything to sunshine and rainbows. It's kind of sad.

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2015 4:57 PM EDT

I understand that people need to get used to it but I don't see why they should have to put up with it, especially on the internet. People make rash judgements about others and don't care about the actual emotions of the other person. Nevertheless, I still think that there's absolutely no excuse for stupid comments like fat/ugly etc - sure, people need to have the knowledge that the world isn't "sunshine and rainbows" but do you really think that the best way to teach them is through insulting them before telling them to get over it?

• 18 posts
    August 17, 2015 5:02 PM EDT

People from our generation think the world is made up of sunshine and rainbows. But they don't know how to act in the real world because they expect everything to be soft and kind. That's not how the world works. You think your boss is gonna give a shit because you had a bad day? You think anyone in real life is going to care that someone online called you ugly? That's not how the world works. And for people from our generation to expect it to be like that, and for people who are like that will not be able to function in the real world. It's common sense.

I understand where you're coming from, honestly I do. But there are real life issues going on. A 11 year old being forced to give birth, Utah cutting funding for PP. These are things people should care about. Not if someone insults you.

• 23 posts
    August 17, 2015 5:12 PM EDT

I get your point, however what you have described is effectively cyber-bullying. I also see how there are other issues which can be prioritised, but in the meantime, how about making the smaller-scale differences such as trying to help these people? As I said before, some people are just naturally sensitive and they require more of a coping mechanism to deal with insults. Many of these people may have depression, may be heavily bullied already or simply have great insecurities, and this isn't uncommon considering the "perfection" portrayed in the media these days.

Words are more powerful to some than those who spoke them intended and people have to realise this - keep in mind that people don't appreciated being insulted - it's a social given. 

• 35 posts
    August 17, 2015 5:14 PM EDT

Priorities are key. People don't think the owrld is nice, people actually think the opposite, but then comes in mental priorities. EX- Janet thinks that the world problems are horrid, but she also HATES it when she's insulted. ~ Janet's priorities are different. Yours might be worrying about the world, but Janet is worrying about herself. That might sound bad, but she could be dealing with some shit. 

• 18 posts
    August 17, 2015 6:28 PM EDT

Tbh. We're never gonna agree. I think people should get thicker skin, and you guys think it's okay to cry they're being /triggered/ 

• August 17, 2015 11:06 PM EDT

Personally, orchid, or whatever your real name is, I think that you've been taught how to deal with shit like being associated with isis, or any other insult that people can come up with regarding middle eastern people. But being able to protect yourself from that kind of hurt is something learned. People aren't born being able to protect themselves. Like for instace, I used to trigger really badly from what people said to or about me online. Now, I don't trigger from shit online, but sometimes I get triggered irl because of something someone said. Or like, I feel guilty because I talk to people about my problems and other people have their own shit, sometimes worse than my own, and that just makes me feel worse, that I'm complaining. It's a developed skill. You don't just have it. Yes, some people should "grow thicker skin" but growing that skin requires a complete change in your lifestyle, environment, everything. I would know. I'm not advocating being an attention whore, but you can't really control what gets to you and what doesn't. Yes, you can control what you do, but what if you've never been shown another way to deal with sometihing? Triggering is a delicate topic in the sense that it's not something that should be encouraged, but people need to learn how to get over themselves, so yes, you're going to have to face a little pain to build up your callous. But that's something that should be done irl. Not online, because there might not be someone there irl to stop the person if you push them too far without realizing it.

• August 17, 2015 11:48 PM EDT

I think everything thats been said here is pretty lame.

• August 17, 2015 11:55 PM EDT

:'/ you disappeared again....

• August 17, 2015 11:58 PM EDT
    It's gonna stay that way too. I don't want to talk to anyone anymore
  • August 18, 2015 12:06 AM EDT

Alright. I miss you, though...

• August 18, 2015 12:08 AM EDT
    Save it. I don't care
  • August 18, 2015 12:08 AM EDT

what did I do?

• August 18, 2015 12:16 AM EDT
    Nothing
  • August 18, 2015 12:30 AM EDT

k

• August 18, 2015 12:34 AM EDT
    That's what I thought
  • August 18, 2015 12:35 AM EDT

what does that mean?

• August 18, 2015 12:44 AM EDT

Ink??

• 18 posts
    August 18, 2015 3:48 AM EDT

Lmao. Honestly. I just think so many people on here cry that you're triggering them for attention. "think that you've been taught how to deal with shit like being associated with isis, or any other insult that people can come up with regarding middle eastern people." You're right, I was taught at a VERY early age of four when a white supremacist cracked jokes that I was a sand /n-word/ and that I needed to go back to the Middle East and get bombed.

Do you think I thought the world was fair when I was being attacked for being what I am? Do you think I thought it was fair when two boys threw me against a locker and kicked me so hard in the ribs they cracked two of them? No, I didn't. But I learned that people are always going to have a mind set, and there isn't anything you can do to change it. 

Now don't get me wrong, I understand whole heartly about it being a /developed skill/ but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and understand that someday you'll be left alone standing on your own feet with nobody there to protect you against what people have to say. And I understand that words can hurt you, trust me. But at some point when are you going to stop letting other people emotions and the way they act stop controlling the way you're made up? 

/requires a complete change in your lifestyle, environment, everything/

I agree, I think you should love yourself no matter what people say to you. And you shouldn't let silly little things get to you so much.